Sunday, May 18, 2008

Pochishe (25th) Baishakh (8th May)..... Rabindra jayanti...




Almost all bengalis (residential or non residential in bengal) know this day and a lot of them spare a moment to remember the great poet, maybe recite a few poems, sing a few of his compositions (with melody or otherwise)....

However, in my family, this day has been celebrate in a very unconventional way!!! it has always been a day for a family reunion! all relatives from all over the country come together to celebrate the not-so-auspicious occasion of... well... our birthday!

yes, you read it right... "our" is what i wrote... that means me and my sister.... Nope... we are not twins, born 4 yrs apart, however, accidentally on the same date...

Over the last 5 yrs, the celebrations have dulled exponentially owing to the fact hat the two of us were in different cities. They had merely turned to "a day spending money treating friends and missing my sister..." (dont care how much it may seem otherwise, i know this feeling is mutual...)

After 5 years when we finally got another birthday together, I was overwhelmed with emotions i cant even begin to explain! I wanted the day to be perfect! The cakes, the menu, the venue and the guests were planned way in advance... Not how a typical b'day party usually goes.... The only thing I didn't count upon was the wrath of mother nature.....

All complaints aside, My B'day this year was the best i could have asked for.. maybe even a little more... I loved the company of my friends, and my sister’s friends (they're a hoot).... And most of all i loved the fact that i met so many relatives that day after so long ( more relatives also mean more cash in hand.. instead of material gifts)....

I loved the way i spent my special day!!!

I cant wait for the next B'day to come... (why does it have to be once a year!!!)

1 comment:

Yours truly. said...

i got the bigger cake.. haha!! :P

*hugs*